Monday, May 2, 2011

Beneath the Canon and Student Driven Reading

When I introduced the course on reading out-of-print 19th century American novels to my students, I gave them a list of 27 titles, written by 20 authors (see my earlier post for a full listing).  I set two titles for our reading (Hospital Sketches, by Louisa May Alcott, and Ragged Dick, by Horatio Alger).  I told my students that they would help set the rest of the reading list.  This past Friday, we did just that.

There is a good deal of cynicism expressed about getting students to read.  Last week's Chronicle of Higher Education, for example, featured an essay whose writer hooted that he told students that reading would help them get laid and that this only would prompt them to read.  He then listed a host of intellectual and cultural reasons to read that he said he could not share with students.  The whole essay in an insult both to students and teachers:  the writer seems caught up in his own sense of self-importance and intellectual blindness.  His has not been my experience.

Anyway.  As we discussed possible readings, my students fully engaged and were animated in their discussion of what to read.  To be honest, there was some worry on their part about the length of some of the readings; however, in the end we created a full and complicated list.  Over 6 weeks, we will read 9 novels.  Here is the list:  Hospital Sketches, Ragged Dick, At Fault, The Gates Ajar, Pink and White Tyranny, Giles Corey, The House Behind the Cedars, The Clansman, and Is Shakespeare Dead?  Writers include Louisa May Alcott, Horatio Alger, Kate Chopin, Elizabeth Stuart Phelps, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Mary E Wilkins Freeman, Charles Chesnutt, Thomas Dixon, and Mark Twain.  Students chose the Chopin and Twain works because they wanted to see what else the writers had written besides their canonized novels (and works other than those most often taught).  It's an ambitious list.

In the end, the intention here is to introduce students to a range of writers and writing.  And the student have shown a genuine willingness to spend the time needed to understand the reading.  The electronic nature of the texts has allowed us a good deal of flexibility.  I have only one concern:  reading Dixon's The Clansman will offer a real challenge.  Not because of the style.  Because of the racist language and ideology.  But I have warned students about that, and we will talk about the implications as we get close to that text.  We will see.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent blog, Michael. And congratulations on using The Clansman--it is part of our history--ugly warts and all.

    I recently published Is Shakespeare Dead? as an audiobook for my company Rambler Audio LLC. I would be delighted to send you a digital download of it for your perusal. I don't know if you're aware of the fall release of Anonymous, a new feature film which dramatizes the dispute over the authorship of the Shakespeare canon. If you will send me an email address, I will send you a link to allow you to download the recording. It is 2 hours and 43 minutes long, but obviously takes less time than that to download. It is not copy protected, so you can make several copies if you like. If you would like to recommend it to your class, I would arrange for a special price for your students.

    Persevere,

    Richard Henzel
    The Mark Twain In Person Audio Book Library
    http://www.richardhenzel.com/marktwain

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW did this all work out? Yes, this is 22. March 22 (2022) and that course was 11 years ago. I have read 3 Alger novels, one-third of The Clansman (I gave up as "no need to continue"--but DO note the frontispiece art in the Belmont (MA) library's copy of the freed slave knocking out the Union soldier "take that from your equal"--D W Griffith's movie DID NOT include that scene!). Over my 70 years I have encountered mention of many of these literary figures. Any thoughts on how to impart how to read literature (as in What To Look For) into your students? The college kids I have met in the last ten years impress me as incorrigable stupid! Is Shakespeare Dead any relation the the Twain play successfully produced a few years ago?

    ReplyDelete